Sleep Apnea & Health
You probably already understand how sleep apnea can impact your ability to get a good night’s rest, but you may not be aware of the effects it can have on your general well-being. We invite you to call SleepNaples.com at 239-593-0880 for an appointment with our doctor, Dr. Thomas Hale, to discuss the relationship between sleep apnea and your health in Naples, Florida.
Sleep apnea has a significant impact on your overall health. When untreated, it can contribute to a number of serious medical problems. We strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with your physician or a sleep specialist if you experience any symptoms of sleep apnea so that you can receive the care you need.
Some common symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Regular and loud snoring
- Gasping or choking sounds during sleep
- Excessive sleepiness during the day
- A dry or sore throat upon waking
Individuals who suffer from sleep apnea are at an increased risk of developing or worsening a number of physical and psychological conditions. These conditions include but are not limited to:
- Problems with the central nervous system
- Problems with the immune system
- Problems with the digestive system
- Problems with hormone production
- Heart disease and a weakened cardiovascular system
- Liver problems
- High blood pressure
- Increased blood pressure
- Weight gain
- Impaired memory and difficulty concentrating
- Anxiety and depression
- Increased risk of type 2 diabetes
- Poor balance
- Excessive daytime drowsiness
Insufficient sleep as a result of sleep apnea has also been recognized as a global problem and a public health epidemic by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lack of sleep has been linked to car accidents and occupational accidents, and it can make it difficult to perform daily tasks and maintain a healthy quality of life. Lack of sleep can also lower productivity.
To learn more about sleep apnea and your health or to schedule an appointment with our doctor, please contact our office today.